13 April, 2009

The Reasons Don’t Always Make Sense; But That Doesn’t Mean They’re Not True

Sometimes she’ll wake up at night just

to yell at me. Calls me

selfish. Tells me

I don’t love her enough.

That I want her to be alone

and crazy. Other times, we’ll just be

laying on the couch watching one of those awful

goddamn television shows she likes to watch

and she’ll sit up mystified by the way (she says)

I don’t take care of myself.

She tells me

she can’t go through it again,

watching someone else go

the way her mother did

all green and bloated and crying

wanting only to die in peace.

It’s horrible, watching a broken person die

when you know the best sensation they will ever feel

is that exact moment

when the gargling is over

and the body transforms itself

into a slab of meat

for medical students and morticians

to splice and dice.



I would explain the difference, but I expect she will see it herself. Sometime.



Sometimes I think

she’s broken too,

but in a different way

and maybe that’s why

the whole thing is lost on her. And no matter

how hard I try

I will never be

that un-broken person she wants –

that person not requiring a constant explanation

to all the friends and relatives

who will, most likely,

look on in complete amazement

as I go on doing

and being

because in my own way

I am simply trying to put all the pieces

back in order.