25 August, 2010

A Run Down as to Why I got Nothing Done Today

We ran out of water bottles and
all that was left was beer. And
(I know!) you wouldn’t want me
to dehydrate and it’s important
to make the best of what we have
rather than linger on the things
we don’t. And beer
is mostly water anyway… and
so was the bourbon. And
the left over champagne… you know
it gives you headaches, anyway. And
I know, I know there’s always tap water,
but I guess I sat up at the bar
too much and listened
to the old men talk about cancer… and
you saw that report on Dateline
about nitrates in rural drinking water… right?
I had every intention of mowing the yard and
Getting Out and Doing Something and
I even took the time to shave and
put on a clean t-shirt so’s the people about town
wouldn’t talk behind your (my) back
because you know they like to do that
and anybody around here
who doesn’t have dirt under their nails
is thought to be a bum. And
I know, I know
I’m not a bum…

oh shit. Who am I kidding?