14 March, 2011

You could drive yourself crazy looking for a reason

The world is wobbling on its axis and ice caps are
melting and we're punching holes in the ozone
so we can have cars that will give us Facebook updates
and satellite radio and heated seats to keep our flabby
asses warm. Once, I heard the atom described as mostly
empty space that holds the power of the universe. We
are made of atoms. I am made of atoms. This desk
is made of atoms. This computer, my coffee mug, the coffee in it,
my scotch glass – all made of atoms vibrating so fast that they,
that we all give off the illusion of being solid. Once
I wrote a poem in ink that disappeared as I wrote it
and it was the best poem I have ever written. That I can
no longer read it, takes none of this away from me –
though I wish I could remember just one line. The lines
were made of ink strokes that were made of atoms,
and I knew the poem was good because it had no choice
but to vibrate differently. The bombs we make are made
of atoms, too, and we think they are destroying things –
houses, families, men, women, children, tanks, guns, soldiers
– when in fact it simply shocks them, makes them vibrate
different –the illusion of death and of destruction. Which
is to say, one could say that the only difference between
an effective bomb and an effective poem is the carnage
left behind – or the illusion of carnage. The world is
wobbling on its axis and the ice caps are melting and we
are punching holes in the ozone so that coal companies
can exploit workers in the mines and be able to breathe
the filtered air found in executive office buildings
and vacation retreats in Dubai. I love Beethoven, I think
because there's something in the vibration of his compositions
that matches the vibrations of my soul. I dislike Handel
for the exact same reason. Earthquakes in New Zealand
and Japan on the news in between updates on coked out
megalomaniacs, political sex scandals, and Reality TV.
The world is wobbling on it's axis and the religiholics
scream that the end of the world is near... not realizing
our end was in the beginning, and that all of this
has happened before. (And it will happen again.)
We lost our sense memory – an altered vibration, nothing
more – in the same way we now lose emails in spam filters.

The only difference is we notice the emails are missing.